8 Week Mindful Self Compassion Online Course with Denise Banks & Jonathan Ward
8 Week MSC Online, with Denise Banks & Jonathan Ward
- This course begins on Saturday 10th September at 10am. The first session will be 3 hours. All following sessions (apart from the retreat) will be 2 1/2 hours. The dates are below:
10.09 ~ 10 – 13.00
17.09 ~ 10 -12.30
24.09 ~ 10 -12.30
01.10 ~ 10 -12.30
08.10 ~ 10 -12.30
15.10 ~ Retreat Day 10 -13.00
(22/29 Half Term, no sessions)
05.11 ~ 10 -12.30
12.11~ 10 -12.30
19.11 ~ 10 -12.30
- In our experience and listening to past previous participants, this journey often appears just when you need it, and for you to get the most out of the experience, a commitment to the whole course is important. Denise and I will be guiding you step by step and it’s common to feel deeply connected and supported by your fellow participants as the course unfolds.
- So what is Mindful Self-Compassion and why might you come on this course?
- Do you struggle to like and accept who you are?
- Would you like to develop a kinder relationship with yourself?
- Would you like to motivate yourself with kindness rather than self-criticism?
- Would you like to be your own best friend and be more authentic in your relationships with others?
- The goal of this course, is that you directly experience Self-Compassion and learn how to practice it in your daily life. MSC is about learning to respond kindly to ourselves, particularly when facing challenges and difficult emotions and learning to embrace who we are. We learn to motivate ourselves with kindness rather than self-criticism, treating ourselves the same way we might treat a dear friend . Appreciating and being grateful for the good in us and our lives, but being there for ourselves with a warm heart in times of trouble. We take time to listen to our inner dialogue and notice if we have patterns of negative self-talk, so that we can understand the messages we tell ourselves and choose more helpful, kind ways of being with ourselves.
- The training programme written by Kristen Neff PhD and Christopher Germer PhD, is empirically supported and research suggests that Self-Compassion is strongly associated with emotional wellbeing, less anxiety, depression and stress and it helps us to cultivate healthy choices and habits. Including exercise, self-care, diet, listening to and acting on our needs and improved relationships with others.
- We learn in a small, supportive group environment, just as we would in person. Learning through guided meditations, short talks, experiential exercises, discussion and audio recordings/suggested readings for home practice (to really support your learning, there is an expectation that you plan to practice for 30 minutes each day).
- No previous experience of meditation or mindfulness practice is required, just an open heart and a willingness to participate fully. The group environment is an important element of the course as it shows us we are not alone in our struggles and our common humanity helps us realise that the thoughts and feelings we might find unacceptable in ourselves, are in fact shared by most of us! So we support each other on this journey.
- You will be asked to complete a form, providing a little background information about you and your life and a free 10 minute phone call is available, to discuss any questions you might have, to ensure that MSC is the right course for you at this time.
- MSC isn’t therapy, but is IS therapeutic. The course is beautifully structured to guide us through this journey together and although it can be challenging at times, we support each other to build a more loving relationship with ourselves and an easier space to inhabit in the world.
Reflections on the course from previous participants:
“I have found the Mindful Self Compassion course with Jonathan Ward and Denise Banks extremely helpful in particular during the last year given the everchanging challenges of life. I have learned much about truly ‘being kind’ to myself and there are in particular a few exercises that were shared that have been enormously useful in ‘slowing down’ and allowing myself the space to appreciate all that I have accomplished, distinct from dwelling on the ‘old’ internal dialogue of what I’m not doing, etc. The opportunity to share with the fellow participants was also very rewarding. I highly recommend the Mindful Self Compassion course, recognizing its value in this fast-paced world.” David N
“Mindfulness Self Compassion is a game changer. It brings me strength to live by my values and achieve my goals, and it makes me a better mother and partner…all while allowing myself space to be vulnerable and to be my whole self…not just the “good bits”. I cannot recommend Jonathan and Denise enough!” Anna
“The course was fantastic. Many of us have an unhelpful inner voice that likes to criticise but we learnt on the course how self-compassion, including compassion towards the inner voice, can help with this. Both teachers are lovely – open, compassionate towards participants, gentle, easy to talk to and wise. I’m so glad I did the course with them.”Michelle, South East
‘I recommend this course highly. After studying and pursuing various therapeutic models for years, the seemingly simple ideas of being more mindful and treating myself with kindness and compassion have helped me hugely and given me hope for a happier future. I am aware of being more able to cope with life’s difficult times and becoming steadily more at peace with myself. This is powerful stuff!’ John A
“do this course….it’s a giant bucket of love and warmth, a huge hug, a place where you can learn more about yourself and others through the context of self compassion” Lucy M
“The MSC course is expertly and sensitively led by Jonathan and Denise. They have helped me develop a deeper understanding of myself, to be more in touch with my emotions and far more gentle and kind towards myself. I now take time to nurture with comfort and kindness rather than punish with harsh words” Sharon R
“A moment of self-compassion can change your entire day. A string of such moments can change the course of your life.”
Christopher K. Germer
Please do not hesitate to contact me for more information, dates, application. I look forward to hearing from you.